On the eve of Absolute Intense Wrestling’s sixth edition of Girls Night Out, we cast our review net back a couple of months to the night the Mia Yim vs Allysin Kay rivalry (much like Kay’s nose…) exploded.
1. Marti Belle bt Mia Yim via pinfall (Double Underhook Facebuster)
2. KC bt Lucious Latasha via submission (Cattle Mutilation)
3. Crazy Mary Dobson bt Miss Heidi via pinfall (Moonsault)
4. Gabby Gilbert bt Angel Dust via submission (Crossface)
5. Veda Scott bt Kimber Lee via pinfall (DDT)
6. Mia Yim bt Allysin Kay via pinfall (Corkscrew Moonsault) — Yim becomes #1 contender to AIW Women’s Championship
7. AIW Women’s Championship: Mickie Knuckles (c) bt Sara Del Rey via pinfall (Pump-Handle Powerbomb)
• Before the show there’s a three match “Guys Night Out” undercard with three matches.
• Cherry Bomb didn’t make it across the border for the show (she was originally scheduled to be taking on Allysin Kay), meaning Mia Yim pulled double duty. This was worked into storyline with the implication that Kay had “called the border” to rat out Cherry Bomb.
• Yim was accompanied by AIW’s “Flexor Industries” – at least for the first match. After losing to Marti Belle, Yim was slapped by fellow Flexor Industries member Allysin Kay, setting up a match between the two in the semi main event spot.
• Who is Luscious Latasha? Check out Lee’s “My Name Is” interview with her on this very site.
• Crazy Mary Dobson is a Mad Man Pondo product. Never seen her before, nor Miss Heidi. More on those two below.
• Gabby Gilbert (as in the newly renamed Roxie Cotton) “debuted” on Girls Night Out 4, turning on Portia Perez. No Perez on this show for revenge, sadly.
• The Mia Yim vs Allysin Kay match featured the now infamous nose breaking incident, when Yim broke Kay’s nose with a kick outside the ring.
• This was the first meeting between Mickie Knuckles & Sara Del Rey since the match in which Mickie broke her leg in 2008 in IWA-MS, which ultimately cost Knuckles her TNA deal. (more…)
Three and a half years after breaking her leg in a match in IWA: Mid South, Mickie Knuckles put that unfinished chapter in her life to bed by defeating her opponent in that match, Sara Del Rey, tonight at Absolute Intense Wrestling’s Girls Night Out 5, successfully retaining her AIW Women’s Championship in the process.
The broken leg was brought up in the match as Del Rey attacked the champion with kicks, before turning her attention to Knuckles’ arm in order to break that. However, Mickie fought back, avoided Sara’s third Capo Kick and nailed the challenger with a powerbomb to get the winning pinfall. The win is another feather in the cap of Knuckles, who is enjoying a renaissance in her career since leaving IWA:MS, spreading her wings and gaining new plaudits and accolades in wrestling promotions all over the US.
Elsewhere on the card, despite losing the opening match on the card to Marti Belle, Mia Yim became the number one contender to the championship by beating and bloodying Allysin Kay (Cherry Bomb didn’t make it to the show), rookie Veda Scott (who has just a year of ring time under her houndstooth belt) continued to impress fans, and Gabby Gilbert followed up her sneak attack on Portia Perez at GNO4 by using underhanded tactics again to defeat former champion Angel Dust.
Thanks to David Muscarella for the results, which you can read by clicking after the jump, as well as taking a look at what Allysin Kay looked like after her match: (more…)